Starting, Growing, and Running Your Business
In true mountain spirit, we embrace trailblazers from all industries. If you’re an entrepreneur seeking a supportive business network and a like-minded community of innovators with a robust workforce, we offer:
Small Business Counseling
The Garrett County Department of Business Development helps you establish your business on solid ground. Whether you’re developing a business plan or lost in financial paperwork, our counselors pave the way for your success. Contact Kim Durst at (301) 334-1992 or [email protected] to explore our resources.
Small Business Resources
Starting a business involves planning, making key decisions, and filing the appropriate federal, state, and local registrations.
- Maryland Business Express is a great resource to help you plan, start, manage, and grow your business.
- The Maryland Department of Commerce offers an online Starting a Business in Maryland Guide to help you with the challenges of setting up your own small business, and the Maryland Business Express takes you step-by-step through the initial stages of planning your business to growing your business once it is up and running.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration also offers an online Business Guide.
- Garrett College and the Continuing Education & Workforce Development Division has advanced degree programs and individual classes.
- The Garrett County Chamber of Commerce has resources and connections to help launch your business and expand your network.
- The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation provides employment assistance, licensing information, and regulatory compliance information.
- If your business plans to sell alcoholic beverage, early contact with the Garrett County Liquor Control Board is essential. The LCB provides information on issuing alcoholic beverage licenses at the retail level and enforcement of State and local laws, rules, and regulations governing retail sales.
- Interested in contracting with the State of Maryland Maryland's Government Contracting Guide can help.
- Interested in contracting with the federal government? Contracting opportunities can be found at the Federal Business Opportunities website, Another great resource is USA.gov.
Expanding Your Business
A business's expansion strategy is largely contingent upon its financial situation, its competition, and government regulations. Such an expansion plan can include adding new products and services, selling more products and services to existing customers, expanding into new territories, targeting new customer markets, and tapping into new sales and delivery channels. Once you have made the decision to expand your business operations, our office can help.
We offer comprehensive and confidential site selection services and access to various local, regional, state, and federal financing and incentives, as well as access to local, regional, and state workforce training programs help to ensure that your employees have the skills needed for today's in-demand occupations.